Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

UPDATE ON EVERYTHING!!
Dec 21, 2005

Thanks Dr Bob for answering my 3 questions, i should be really thankful that u answered mine out of millions that you probably get everyday from people freaking out. During my 'hiv crisis' and endless weirdness and unanswered questions from dr's and some hiv info places, i have educated myself with enough information to calm myself and hopefully help others do the same when they are freaking out over hiv/aids which is a scary issue to get over. So here is my story in a nutshell...raped=>gay sex, started to feel weird at exactly 13 weeks, the runs, stomach problems, blurry vision, weird rashes, dry skin, derm . problems, couldnt eat or sleep, pains, numbness, achs, sinus problems i never had before this, runny nose, "thrush", dry mouth that gave me a cavity, jesus i had everything, i swear i was going to diiiiiiiiiiiee. but i had the first negative test (rapid test i didnt know!! question) then i freaked and read everything on hiv for 3 more months of waiting since the dr said it was gay sex and it had to be 6 months wait, i took the orasure test oral fluid, and that was a weird test, they had to wb it. then i took another orasure test at the same place, and also a regular blood test, 3 weeks after the weird orasure test (this is about 7.5 months after exposure) and all negative. in conclusion, after 3 neg tests, and 1 weird one, i've learned a lot about hiv that i never knew. hiv may or may not start with flu like symptoms 4 to 6 weeks after the encounter, and most of the things i 'had' were just anxiety not hiv/aids. tests taken 13 weeks after any encounter w/o PEP are most likely 99%, as i even read in a joint house committee article in 1987! imagine the tests now. the reason i got the weird unexplained orasure oral fluid test, is basically because those are a lot easier to be contaminated than blood tests, but very accurate when it comes to a negative test. So if you get a weird test on the oral fluid, just remain calm it could very well be a false positive, or false inconclusive (depending on risk). man did i not sleep after that weird test. Tests are the only true tests that could prove your individual status, not achs and pains. I should have listened to Dr. Bob but my anxiety got the worst of me and drove me more than insane and sucidal than i have ever felt before. Hiv is the most preventable if every measure is taken for safer sex. Thanks Dr. Bob, this crisis has made me understand the importance to support the people living with this disease, and helping educate those who are most at risk. Could you list some organizations that might need volunteers for people who need assistance? Thanks again Dr. Bob if it wasnt hiv that would have killed me, it sure was the idea of having it.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks for your "update." Congrats! And I'll try very hard not to say "I told you so." OK? Regarding volunteers, I don't know any AIDS service organizations that don't need assistance! I'd suggest you merely Google AIDS service organizations and your hometown. There are most likely a variety of "opportunities" in your community.

Thanks for helping!

Stay well. Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Previous
mosquito enters mouth
Next
Uncircumcised risks

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.