Out of my MIND! won't let myself woo hooo

Dearest Dr. Frascino,

I have been reading this forum off and on for a little over a year now and I must say that I absolutely LOVE what you have been doing here. You are an honest breath of fresh air in the terribly scary world of HIV panic.

Now for my question...

I had unprotected sex twice with the same man in early October of 2004. I was tested at 25 days, 3 months, 5 months, and 8 months. Each test has been negative. However, I haven't been able to get my mind off of HIV or AIDS ever since.

There is not a day when I go without hearing or seeing something about HIV. Its everywhere!! Which is a good thing, because it raises awareness, but a bad thing for people who panic like me.

I know you consider 3 months to be enough, and 6 months is the recommended time to get tested, but somehow I am left satisfied.

Is my hyper-sensitvity to all things HIV just a result of my guilt? Or should I re-test? I haven't had intercourse since the encounter.

I can't shake this feeling Dr.Frascino...and I'm scared.

xoxo- Out of her mind.

Hello Out of Her Mind,

Yep, I consider three months to be enough for most cases and yep, six months is recommended by some very conservative sites.

Is your hypersensitivity to all things HIV just a result of your guilt? Perhaps. There is no doubt your fears are unwarranted and irrational. To find out what's behind those fears, I'd suggest you seek professional counseling. HIV is not your problem; fear of HIV is!

Should you retest? No, of course not. As I said, HIV is not your problem; fear is. Stop chasing a disease you do not have. Get the help you need (psychological counseling), not more HIV tests that you don't!

College boy gone wild - oh no!!! I'm donating,but where to?
Promise I won't take up much of your time.