Dr. Bob...Please Answer!

Dr. Bob,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I have read countless questions by others, but I was wondering if you could answer mine, because there's a couple diffrent things here...

I had unprotected vaginal sex with a woman for about 20-25 seconds. We stopped and then she performed oral sex on me. I tested negative after 28 days using an RNA test (I know you're going to say that I shouldn't have taken this test...not conclusive). So I patiently waited and took an Elisa HIV test at two and a half months and then at 3 months (89 days later). Sounds like all the other posts...right? Can I woo-hoo it??? Here's the kicker:

1. I have genital warts. Could having gential warts made it easier for me to contract HIV, if this girl had it?

2. Can genital warts weaken the immune system enough to test negative on an HIV test?

3. A week before taking the 3 month test, I had a minor sore throat. Even though the test was negative, I have continued to have this minor sore throat. I saw a doctor and he said it was red back there, but he thought it was odd that I've had this sore throat for 2 weeks and had no other symptoms. Could this be the start of me serroconverting?

4. Is it possible to have symptoms like this, test negative @ 3 months, and then later test positive?

I know you're a really busy person and I know my story sounds very similar to others...but, I have not read a lot about having Genital Warts and the symptom of the sore throat.

Your response will be gratefully appreciated and I will be donating (I'm not donating because I want you to respond) as soon as I get paid on the 15th. I thank you again for your time and your wonderful sense of humor that you use to respond...PLEASE, don't be too hard on me :)

God bless, Mckynsay

Hello Mckynsay,

Since you already know my opinion on HIV testing, I'll proceed directly to your specific questions:

1. Yes, it's possible that having genital warts could facilitate HIV acquisition, particularly if the wart area is inflamed.

2. No, having genital warts will not affect HIV test results, your ability to make anti-HIV antibodies or the duration of the window period.

3. No, this would be highly unlikely, due to your three-month negative ELISA test.

4. Gosh, if even a fraction of this country thinks Tom DeLay, Scooter Libby, Dick Cheney, Rummy and Dubya are honest, moral people of integrity, then I suppose anything, absolutely anything, is indeed "possible." However, the probability of your symptoms being related to HIV following your negative RNA and ELISAs is essentially nil.

Finally, I must mention that if you have genital warts and are having unprotected sex of any kind, it is your sexual partners who should really be worried. You could easily transmit genital warts by skin-to-skin contact. I would certainly hope you would not knowingly expose another person to an STD. I strongly urge you to see a dermatologist and have your wart problem treated without delay!

Thanks for your willingness to help others (www.concertedeffort.org) with a donation.

PEP and its availability
life has become hell sir---a must read