PEP and its availability

Hi Bob;

Thank you for taking my question.

You recently gave advise to someone about the possibility of taking PEP under certain high risk conditions that are very recent.

I was curious about how would one know where to get a PEP treatment if in that type of a situation where it would be considered appropriate.

And while your at it; how effective would it be for someone who did contract the HIV virus during that time.

Thanks and regards, John

Hello John,

PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) should be readily available at any urgent care center, emergency room or physician's office. Its purpose is to prevent HIV infection after a significant HIV exposure. It is not 100% effective. There are indeed PEP failures (me, for instance!). PEP is most effective when taken as soon as possible after an HIV exposure. It must be started no later than 72 hours post exposure. Additional information about PEP can be found in the archives.

Stay well.

Up-chuck HIV risk
Dr. Bob...Please Answer!