scared in fla

doctor bob, your web site has helped me a lot over the last week.about 3 and a half weeks ago i gave unprotected oral sex to a 48 year old man who has stated that he is definitaly hiv nagative. the oral sex was unprotected for only a few seconds, but a little bit of pre cum did get in my mouth, i spit it out and he put on a condom. after it was all over i noticed that the side of my mouth had torn a little bit on the side of my mouth, i believe this happend after he put on the condom. no blood came out of the tear, but it did scab over and heal over the next few days. is it possible that a little bit of his pre cum may have gotten into the tear and infected me. i've been suffering from a whole lot of anxiety with knee pain and head aches. i don't have any reason to believe that the man was lieing about his status, but my mind keeps coming up them. what has really been worrying me is the fact that now in the third week i have had a pain in my left ear(that comes and goes), along with a head ache (that comes and goes, also have had what could be a mild sore throat or inflamed tonsils for the past week and two days, i've also had some knee pain knee pain that comes and goes (mostly on my left knee. i was very sacred that it could be symptoms of ars, or seroconversion. is there a bigger chance that i have ars, or an ear infection? also does prolonged and overwhelming stress and anxiety make me more prone to getting an ear infection or a cold? i know that oral sex is relatively low risk but the what ifs have left me very worried. i have been waking up very easily, my palms have been sweaty, and i have been going #2 every morning, is that normal? when ever i hear or think about hiv i get butterflies in my stomach. any way you're compasionate way of helping people is a breath of fresh air when compared to the cdc hot line which just made me freak out. i do paln on being tested in 3 months, but i would really like your input on my situation. i have a lot of respect for you and how you help others, so i'm selling an extra car i have for 500 dollars, so you can expect a check in that amount soon wether you respond or not. have a happy holidays and be well.

Hello Scared in Fla.,

You are correct: oral sex carries a very low risk for potential HIV transmission. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected oral sex with an HIV-positive partner is 1 in 10,000. Your estimated risk would be even less, because we do not know the HIV status of your partner and due to the fact that the unprotected exposure lasted only "a few seconds." I would not anticipate that a small tear on the side of your mouth would have significantly increased this risk level.

To answer your specific questions:

1. ear infection

2. "Overwhelming stress" can lower your immune resistance, thereby increasing the likelihood that you could get an upper respiratory infection.

3. "#2 every morning" is more information than I need, but yes, it's quite normal. The sweaty palms are related to anxiety.

I agree with your plan to get HIV tested at the three-month mark. It's the most efficient way to put your mind at ease. I see no reason for excessive worry or concern, or need to "what if" this situation.

Thank you for your kind donation. Helping others in desperate need is an excellent way to keep our own problems in proper perspective. On behalf of those who will be touched by your generosity, please accept my heartfelt thanks.

Now I have a question for you. Why is it that every time I visit Florida, the road construction never seems to end anywhere in the state and the cars in front of me are often driven by headless people???

Stay well! I'm sending my best good-luck karma that your HIV test will be negative.

French kiss
Up-chuck HIV risk