Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

sending donation 3d request please please answer
Dec 12, 2005

I am a 50 year old male.I had insertive vaginal and anal sex with a prositute 22 months ago. VERY stupid. I really don't recall any ARS syptoms.I have had chronic diareaha on and off for over a year. In May took 10 days of Doxycycline for a urinary tract infection. In July I noticed my tongue was coated whiteish yellow and my lips and tongue felt tingly. It is still coated the same and still tingles. I would guess it's a mild case of thrush although I don't have any of the cottage cheese like I see in all the pics.I have gotten a couple bruises which seem very big and seem to take a longer time than normal to go away. Now last week I started to get a tingling across my chest and back on the right side. Sure enough I am having an outbreak of shingles. I am scared out of my mind. I know from reading every single question you have ever answered (believe me I have spent hour upon hour reading your answers)that the concensus is that you can't diagnose by symptoms. Sorry I have trouble with that one. I have the classic symptoms and they are not in my mind as many of the ones I read about. Is there any way in the world that I can test negative? I need a little reasurance or I don't know what I will do. I am sending a fresh $100 bill for your foundation. You do incredible work. I pray every night to be a worry-well but I don't feel I am. Thanks again. We need more people like you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'm sorry you are "having trouble" with the undeniable fact that "symptoms," no matter what they are, are not equal to HIV disease. However the facts remain the facts whether you believe them or not. "Symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in predicting HIV disease! No one, especially me, is suggesting your symptoms are not real. However, the important thing to realize is that it's a quantum leap to jump from "symptoms" to "HIV positive" without taking an HIV test.

I should also point out that shingles in a 50-year-old is not uncommon. In fact, the vast majority of cases of shingles at any age are not related to HIV/AIDS. Certainly when the immune system is deficient, one would be more susceptible to certain opportunistic infections and reactivation illness, which is what shingles is. However, shingles related to immune deficiency is often atypical. It doesn't stay limited to one area on one side of the body, but rather is often more generalized.

"Is there anyway in the world that I can test negative???" Abso-frickin'-lutely. But you have to actually take the test in order to know. You don't need reassurance so much as you need to get your butt down to the testing center and get screened. You've had 22 months of worry. You can have your HIV test result in just 20 minutes!

It doesn't matter if you don't "feel" like a worried well. There is a very good chance the reality is that WW is exactly what you are! One way or the other, you need to stop procrastinating and get tested.

Thanks for your donation! Now go get tested!

I'll send my best good-luck karma that your test will be negative.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
WOO HOO!!!! Thank You will never be enough
Next
baby oil bottle

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.