WORRIED SICK

Dr.Bob- you've been the only bright spot in a miserable last 2 months. Here's my story-went to out of town wedding and got too drunk and ended up in an asian massage parlor. Had brief protected oral and vaginal sex (too drunk to stay fully erect). My concern is that I did finger this girl and woke up the next morning and realized I had some cuts on my finger from dry skin. Wouldnt this be just as risky as if I had a cut on my penis and didnt use condom. Would the virus be any more likely to infiltrate a penis cut vs a hand cut? I'm freaking out. As for any symptoms, at 3 weeks my left arm became numb and hypersensitive to touch. The hypersensitivity lasted for couple of weeks. Had 1 bout of diarrhea for 24 hours and some muscle aches but only in my left leg. Does this possibly sound like an unusual presentation of ARS? Does it warrant testing? Any response would be so greatly appreciated. I know it's not much but I have written a check for 100 dollars as this website and you in particular have been so helpful to listen to.

You went to a wedding and wound up in an Asian massage parlor???? Hmmm . . . I'd check to see if your GPS might need recalibrating or something.

Regarding "fingering," in general this is not considered a significant risk, assuming the skin is intact. If a wound is not fresh, open and/or actively bleeding, it is also highly doubtful HIV would be acquired. Regarding your anatomy question of finger versus joy stick, there would be essentially no significant difference.

As for your symptoms, no, this does not sound like ARS unusual, usual or anything in between.

Should you take an HIV test? That decision is ultimately up to you. I can advise you that your risk of acquiring HIV from the activities you describe is extremely minimal. However, if you feel you've placed yourself at risk, then get tested at the three-month mark. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this "wrong turn" on the way to the wedding. By the way, this wasn't supposed to be your wedding, was it???

Thanks for your generous donation (www.concertedeffort.org). Accepting gifts today on World AIDS Day (December 1) holds special significance for me. Together our concerted efforts can, will and do make a difference!

Good luck. Stay well.

Not detectable=Negative?
Pricked by a chair