Not detectable=Negative?

Dear Dr. Bob, please dont ignore my letter without your reponse. I was visiting you forum for many years now and this is the first time I want to ask you about test results. After 84 days after possible exposure(unprotected oral, I was insertive, and protected vaginal intercourse) I went for a test ELISA HIV I/II (Aids Test) (Screen)-Serum<230-147L2> and the results came Not detectable The med personal in the Al Zahra Med centre(UAE, Dubai) told me that this means that I m HIV free, and that no antibody was found. Please advise whether it is really true?? Thanks a lot for your response in advance, Truly Mike

Hello Mike,

While "visiting my forum for many years," did you happen to stay long enough to read some of the questions and responses??? If so, you must have run across one of the gazillion posts that clearly states that following a low-risk exposure (like yours), I consider a three-month negative test result to be definitive. And that "not detectable" means no detectable anti-HIV antibodies and that in turn means negative, no HIV, HIV free, you don't have it! So, Mike, your question is certainly has never been ignored! Now we have a gazillion-and-one responses reiterating the information you requested.

Stay well, Mike.

Escaped the HIV anxiety spiral and it was a tough fight
WORRIED SICK