Response to a Minor - Home Access?

Dr. Bob,

Regarding your response to the gay 17 year old wondering about testing, would the Home Access HIV test be an option here? I've tested by this method twice (both -) and several of my friends have used this test, also. Most doctors won't test a teenager without parent's knowledge. Is this method accurate? I wonder because you did not mention it in your response. BTW, is there any update on the FDA and the OTC quick test? Thanks!

If the original questioner was writing from a country (like the US) where Home Access is available, certainly this would be an excellent option.

Regarding the FDA and an OTC quick test, well, we can hope. But the FDA is a branch of the government, which, at the moment, is controlled by sex-phobic neo-conservatives. One thing you can do is remind your friends who are old enough to vote to exercise that right and encourage a regime change in Washington. We need to eliminate "faith-based science" from scientific agencies. The FDA's delay in approving the "morning after" birth control pill is another example of politics trumping science at the expense of an individual's freedom and health.

Thanks for your comments.

woo hoo - maybe later??
Escaped the HIV anxiety spiral and it was a tough fight