Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

1 month after illness, 1 month to go
Dec 6, 2005

Hi Dr. Bob, I have a question regarding the "symptoms" and how they pertain to a positive test result. About a month ago, I had the flu like "symptoms" from the Diarreah, vomiting, rash on my mouth etc.

Since then, I have recovered and have been patiently awaiting my 3 month mark. I'm at 2 right now. The 3rd month mark is Christmas Eve.

My question for you is if all of those "symptoms" were HIV related, would my test show positive at this time. Wouldn't my body have produced the white blood cells to try and fight off the HIV when I was sick? I read all of the answers saying to wait for 3 months, but I believe my question is rational. If we are testing for the white cells, wouldn't they be out when I got sick? (assuming that the sickness was HIV related).

Thanks for all of your help with this great web site. My donation is on the way.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your question is rational and so will be my response, even though you may not like it. Guidelines are developed and approved based on scientific studies. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable when it comes to diagnosing HIV. The reason to get tested is having placed yourself at risk, not having symptoms. HIV screening tests (ELISA) do not measure white blood cells. Rather these tests measure the body's immune response to being infected. More specifically they measure anti-HIV antibodies which are proteins, not white blood cells. The current guidelines state that testing prior to three months (with or without symptoms) is not considered definitive or conclusive. Therefore it's not recommended. For now I'm sticking with this recommendation.

Hypothetically, if your symptoms were indeed due to HIV ARS, you would most likely have detectable anti-HIV antibodies in your blood. However, that's a big hypothetical and certainly cannot be relied upon or recommended.

My suggestion is that you get rapid tested at three months. Hopefully your Xmas stocking will have a big WOO-HOO in it by the time Santa finished his rounds.

Good luck.

Previous
Questions in French
Next
My Penis is shrinking...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.