Your forum helped me stay sane

Dr. Bob, thanks so much for your forum. I never bothered to submit a question because I frantically searched hours a day for the last 3 months since I was convinced I had become infected with HIV through a needle exposure. To make a long story short, I had a brief relapse into drug addiction where I used 3 or 4 potentially contaminated needles from a using partner of unknown status after bleaching them. Also in the same period I had a low risk encounter with a female escort. Boy, did I feel like I'd joined the "idiot party" after that 48 hour stint of retardation! Then guess what, 2.5 weeks after stint of poor decision-making, I developed the "classic" transient maculopapular truncal rash which lasted 3 days and a mild fever. After all my worrying, I found my using partner was hiv- and i tested hiv- after 14 weeks. Your humor and information greatly helped me stay sane! I am about to give a 100.00 donation to your concerted effort site. Thanks for all you do! I have a whole new outlook on the AIDS epidemic thanks to my harrowing experience.

Thank you for taking time to write in and share your harrowing experience! I'm delighted the story had a happy ending. Congratulations and WOO-HOO! Thank you also for your very generous donation to my foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Your one gift of kindness will touch many lives. On their behalf, please accept my heartfelt thanks.

For informational purposes I'll provide our readers with the estimated risk statistics for sharing needles. The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from needle-sharing injection-drug use is 67 per 10,000 exposures to an infected source.

Don't be too hard on yourself for your lapse in judgment and "stint of poor decision-making." Just look at all the folks who actually voted for Bumblehead Bush and Scary Cheney!

Stay safe. Stay well. Many thanks!

Women and HIV
He fucks me without condom!