My thanks and my promise...WOO-HOO!

Dear Dr. Bob-

I don't have a question...at least not anymore. I simply want to add my humble thanks to the others that your work has received over the years.

Actually, I want to thank you for not answering my question about exposure risk last week( ME: neurotic, almost psychologist driving self-crazy, googling ex-bf to make sure they were alive and asking MD fiance to keep feeling lymph nodes). If you had given me the reassurance that I was seeking, I don't know that I would have gotten myself tested. Instead, I would have continued symptom-checking and reassurance seeking, driving every one around me insane. I got an Orasure yesterday when the not knowing was finally more miserable than the knowing. Well...WOO-HOO!!!

For any one who has never donated or given a second thought to donating their time or money to HIV, they should get an HIV test. It was the most terrifying, humbling 30 minutes of my life. The young "counselor" who waited with me literally saved my sanity with humor and genuine, human kindness as I cried all over her desk, first in terror and then in relief. I'll never forget her.

After I returned home, life seemed different, not quiet a la Scrooge, but different, and while I try never to take life for granted, my experience yesterday showed me that I need to be just a little more grateful for what I've been given. While I have worked with HIV/AIDS patients, I might need to do a little more on my own time. I'm going to start volunteering again to mentor/counsel teenage girls-a particularly high risk group for whom primary prevention is definitely indicated. Ironically, I'm grateful for my "close call" but ideally, it's a life changing experience that no one should have to undergo.

I was hoping that if I was positive, I could meet the challenge with humor, dignity, and grace, as I have seen through your work and the work of the individuals with HIV displayed on this site. Despite my negative result, I will attempt to demonstrate those same qualities all of my future work.

Somewhere in the Bible it says to keep our good deeds quiet but please accept my donation of $150 to www.concertedeffort.org. I completed the transaction a few minutes ago. It's not much but then again, I'm only an "almost" psychologist!

Thank you again Dr. Bob and be well.

Liz

Hi Liz,

Gosh, I've never been thanked for not answering a question! I'm delighted to hear your wonderful news! Congratulations and WOO-HOO!

Thank you for your willingness to help others and for your generous donation. I can assure you that your one gift will touch many lives in a most meaningful way.

Stay well "almost" psychologist!

the risks of not pulling out to ejaculate
Dr . Bob - you are the best!