Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hope in Norway!!!....?
Nov 21, 2005

Hei, and thanks for giving me a reason to stand this nightmare. Your website is the only thing that keeps me on my feet these days!!!. One week ago, i gave unprotected oral sex to an female african hooker (she was from Ghana, "working" in Oslo, thats far...). I was drunk, and made these fatal mistake.

Im scared to death. Ill take a test after 3 months, but the waiting is unbearable. Im 100% sure Im HIV positive, until now at least. After reading all the norwegian web-sites, there was no hope for me. They painted my future black.Even my doctor freaked me out. He just concluded there was a considerable risk.

But then I came across your site. Ive read some earlier posted answers from you, and a small hope has come to me. But still Im a nervous wreck. Thinking about this all day and night. Food, friends, work, nothing matters. And ofcourse, Ive got almost all of the symptoms. Already the morning after the accident I had an sore throat (pain when swallowing, etc). And at that stage I was not aware of wich symptoms HIV could give, so it must be for real, not just in my head. Can a HIV-infection give symptoms so fast? (about 6 hours after infection...?).

So please, if you can give me even MORE hope, please answer me, and Ill donate norwegian oil, fish and whaling money!!

Thanks again for your fantastic work.

Best regards, norwegian nervewreck.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Norwegian Nervewreck,

"After reading all the Norwegian Web sites, there was no hope for me???" I know Norwegians can't cook worth a damn, but I always thought they were fairly well adjusted and well educated when it came to sex.

So let's start with a few facts:

1. Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission.

2. HIV acute retroviral syndrome symptoms do not occur within hours. Rather it takes weeks for symptoms to begin.

I do not believe your future should be painted black, nor do I agree with your doctor that there was "considerable risk." I do agree you should get a three-month HIV test, but the odds are all in your favor that you did not contract HIV and that your mistake is not "fatal!"

Finally, I can recommend one Norski that gives accurate HIV information and excellent compassionate advice Steve Natterstad, M.D. He's perhaps better known as Dr. Steve, the expert in The Body's Tratamientos Forum. However, there is one catch. He only answers in Spanish. He and I have been life partners for 12 years and think very much alike, except he seems to think lefse and lutefisk are real foods.

Try to relax, Mr. Nervewreck. If necessary, a few shots of Aquavit should help.

Me and My Norski will send our very best good luck that your test is negative, O.K.?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Confusion about the early HIV test. HELP DOCTOR BOB.
Next
Im completely in aw of this site

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.