Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Does Oral Sex Cause Cancer?
Nov 19, 2005

Today (11/17/05) my girlfriend told me that she saw on the news, that oral sex causes cancer. It was on an American news station, however, I am not quite sure which one it was. I think she said Fox News. I live in Europe at the moment, so I can't exactly check the news myself and I couldn't find any information on oral sex being cancerous on the internet. And since I can't believe that it actually could be cancerous, I'm rather curious, as I have been rather active oraly.

So, is there something true about it, or is it just a type of scare tactic?

Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Yeah, that sounds like just the kind of story Fox News loves to run. Here's what we know. Several studies have found a potential but tiny risk that oral sex can lead to cancer. It's really not anything new. We have long suspected that human papilloma virus (HPV), a common STD known to cause cervical and anal cancer, may be linked to some cases of oral cancer. The risk is estimated to be around 1 in 10,000 people who develop oral cancer.

The vast majority of oral cancers are caused by smoking and drinking, not HPV. No one is suggesting anyone alter their behavior because of this "news," except for maybe some sex-phobic folks on Fox and in the Religious Right. But they've been trying to keep folks from getting their groove on for years. Kind of like Dana Carvey's Church Lady on the old Saturday Night Live show.

So the take-home message here is that oral cancer is a rare disease and that tobacco and alcohol are by far the biggest causes.

Hope that calms your concerns.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Miracle HIV case in Scotland
Next
second time writing, PLEASE respond to a worried Dem!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.