encounter with a cute soldier...please help,.

Dear Doctor,

Your column is awesome, just like you. You boyfriend is lucky to have found you.

I BEG you to help me by answering my questions. I had an incident that freaks me out: I was on a date (first and perhaps the last one) with a very cute, young all-american soldier boy. He looked like a very decent guy who just moved back to the states from abroad. It was a nice date. To make the story short, we ended up fooling around. He was jerking me off with some baby oil, and I closed my eyes enjoying. Then I opened my eyes, I realized that I was inside his anus (without a condom). I freaked out cause I never did bb. SO I stopped him and put a condom on and fucked him for 10 minutes. (afterward, I checked the condom and it did not break as I filled the used condom with water and there was no leaking.)

Now I am freaked out because I was inside him bb for some time. (I am not exactly sure how long, perhaps 10 seconds or 1 minute...but i believe it was within a minute.)

Since he is a soldier, he has to get tested regularly and he told me the last time he was tested was 1 month ago. But given his high-risk behaviours, he could have got the virus within a week. This happened two days ago. Is this too late for a post-exposure emergency treatment. (Also he never returned my call after we last met, meaning that he only saw me as a one-night-stand. This makes me worried that he is doing the same thing regularly with many guys.)

What should I do?? Should I get the 10-dat PCR test??

SHould I take any medication??

Doctor, you are so nice, please help me...

I beg you

A very cute, young all-American soldier boy was jerking you off. You closed your eyes and when you opened them, you "realized" that you were inside his anus, barebacking him. Hmmm . . . O.K., I'll believe that story. Millions wouldn't, but for the sake of answering your question, I'll suspend reality a bit and believe your tale about his tail.

Your risk is insertive anal sex with a partner of unknown serostatus. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected insertive anal sex is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive. Your estimated risk would be less, as we don't know G.I. Joe's HIV status. However, HIV testing is definitely warranted. I'd recommend a three-month ELISA test. I do not recommend PCR tests for routine screening, due to the rate of false-positive tests and the cost. Should you take medications? No. Even if PEP were to be recommended it would need to be started within 72 hours, and you are beyond that time period.

Try not to worry, but do get tested, O.K.? And if you can't tell the difference between a hand and a butt, you better keep your eyes open during sex, O.K.?

should i take a HIV test?
I want to know now, not in 3 months!