Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

should i take a HIV test?
Nov 18, 2005

Thanks a lot for your time Dr. Frascino, I am from France so sorry for my poor english, but I am having a really bad time. Last Thursday night I got drunk with some mates and we went to a club (first and last time I promise) and I practiced cunnilingus to a prostitute with no protection for about 2 or 3 minutes sucking the clitoris, then she performed me a fellatio with a condom and finally we had vaginal sex for about five minutes with latex condom. I think this is a low risk situation but from Saturday morning (around 36 hours after the exposure) I started to feel like flu. and has got worst till today (wendsday) when I keep with the symptoms of a cold (very little fever 37.3 celsius, a little annoyance in the chest while coughing) but no linfoadenopaties, rash, or wounds in the mouth. Do you think is esential that I take a HIV test or the probabilities are not big enought to be necessary. I look forward your replay anxiously because I am very worried about been trough a primary infection period. thanks again for your time and support greetings from france

Response from Dr. Frascino

Salut,

Tu habites en France? Pourquoi tu m'écris en anglais ? J'ai besoin de pratiquer la langue de Molière, de Piaf, de Camus, de Céline Dion houp ! Elle est québécoise, pas française ! Alors, peut-être je dois répondre en anglais.

Your HIV risk is unprotected cunnilingus and protected insertive oral and vaginal sex with a hooker of unknown HIV status. Assuming the latex condom was used correctly and did not fail, your risk would be limited primarily to unprotected cunnilingus. The HIV transmission risk for unprotected oral sex is very low. Your symptoms beginning 36 hours after the exposure would not be related to HIV seroconversion, as they began too soon. HIV ARS symptoms generally take two weeks, not just hours, to appear.

An HIV test at three months after the exposure will give you definitive results and put your fears to rest.

"Bonne chance," although I doubt you'll need it, as the odds are all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this episode.

Dr. Bob

Previous
All the symptoms in the book
Next
encounter with a cute soldier...please help,.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.