Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

URGENTdonating blood/HIV Undectable?
Nov 16, 2005

a friend of mines tested undectable and feels he/she can now donate blood. I am naive to blood donating, but I don't think he/she should. Help settle the dispute what do you think

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

This is an important issue and one that frequently causes confusion. However, considering the fact your "he/she" friend apparently is still confused about their gender, perhaps confusion about HIV viral load terminology isn't all that unexpected. At any rate, here is the scoop. I'm assuming your friend is HIV positive and on treatment, and now has an HIV viral load that is non-detectable. The important concept is that undetectable does not mean noninfectious. Effective treatment does not make people noninfectious, even if their viral loads become "undetectable" (non-detectable). Your friend definitely should not donate blood. Chances are he/she would be told so at the blood donation site. If he/she did donate, their blood would still test positive for HIV, the blood would be discarded and your friend would receive a letter from the blood bank telling him/her that he/she needs to see his/her physician.

The same confusion related to the term "non-detectable" (or "undetectable") can lead some folks to the false conclusion that the non-detectable person no longer has HIV or is no longer infectious. It is true that non-detectable viral loads reduce the risk of HIV transmission per exposure, but it certainly does not eliminate it. The best analogy I heard involved hand grenades. It is more dangerous to juggle 10 hand grenades than 2 hand grenades, but it only takes 1 to blow you to smithereens!

Do your friend a favor and fill him/her in on the facts.

Dr. Bob

Previous
re:Shining Star..
Next
woo-hoo!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.