how can i raise awareness in my school??

Hello! I would like to tell you first that you are an amazing individual, and that you are a rolemodel. Second, I have read that you can not get HIV/AIDS if you have not engaged in sexual acts, or done drugs, etc. Well I haven't but I show signs. I'm 16, and a virgin so I'm not worrying myself, I am against drugs, but guilty of trying marijuana under peer pressure, ever since I became much more active against drugs. Third, I heard about your story and may God bless you, but, how can I raise awarness in my school? This virus is a problem affecting everybody, and my school has HIV + people, our Sex Education class doesn't show us how to use a condom, or show us what it looks like. I gave a speech to a club that promises to raise Awareness come AIDS Awarness month, is there anything I can do before then? I'm raising money with friends of mine to donate to your Foundation, we all think you're a hero! I heard about your brother, my grandmother is a cancer patient and my heart goes out to you and your brother. I truely hope that he feels better and gets better. As do I hope with you.

God Bless!

Your sex education doesn't show you what a condom looks like or how to use it??? Do they still teach you babies are brought by storks? Gosh, it's no wonder STDs and HIV are on the rise in this country!

I'm delighted you are committed to raising AIDS awareness in your school. There are many ways to do this. I'd suggest you contact your local AIDS service organization (just Google AIDS service organizations and your city/town) and give them a call. They may have some resources locally for you. I have found arranging for a display of The AIDS Memorial Quilt to be very effective in schools. You might also try arranging for a showing of the VH1 news documentary, "AIDS: A Pop Culture History." Some of entertainment's biggest names, including Sharon Stone, Kenneth Cole, Magic Johnson, Greg Louganis, Larry Kramer, Alicia Keys, Rosie Perez and Tom Hanks tell the story of AIDS in this film.

You might also consider having an HIV-positive speaker come and give a talk. I've done this many times in many schools. Some schools haven't been too happy when I show up with condoms and a bunch of bananas so kids can get some practical experience in how a condom actually works.

Good luck with your efforts! Please know that the work you are doing now could very well save someone's life in the future. I applaud your efforts and hope that others reading this forum will follow your lead.

?
LOST MY BET TO YOU.