NEEDLE STICK INJURY

hi,I am 24,male,doctor doing my internship in Vadodara medical college,india.During my very first day of internship posting I was accidently exposed to needle stick injury from a known case of Hiv.This is during collecting blood sample from that patien.He was in advanced stage of FULL-BLOWN AIDS with CD4 count of 157.I had worn a single pair of gloves.the prick was not that deep in the index finger.After prick,I expressed few drops of blood manually and cleaned with spirit.Aftr 2 hour I took INDINAVIR-800mg and zidovudine-lamivudine combination after 1.5 hour of that.I completed the whole prophyalaxis course of 28 days.After one week of this exposure, I god DNAPCR done and it was negative.so I relieved.My question is how much seriously should i took whole this incidence?How significant is this injury?How much is the risk? what is the role of post-exposure prophylaxis in prevention infection? Does the negativity of DNA PCR done after one week of needle stick injury significant?should I go for some another investigations?Please counsel me appropriately.I am so much tensed.waiting for ur response.

Since you're a physician (albeit a relatively new one), I'll merely provide you with the medical reference for the Updated Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposures to HIV (including PEP). The answers to all your questions are contained within the text of this article.

Reference: MMWR June 29, 2001/50 (RR11); 1-42

You can download the article using the following URL:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5011al.htm

Let me know if you have additional questions after you've read the article.

Please Respond- Want to help
Barebacking with a Poz Top