Re: Window period and reinfection

Hi Dr Bob. Im writing in relation to the question you were asked about HIV reinfection and the window period. I didnt really understand the response. Here is the scenario. I had unprotected insertive oral sex with a sex worker and protected vaginal sex. The potential risk being the insertive oral sex. I also have a partner and know my partner did not have HIV prior to this incident. I had sex with her during the 12 week window period (Im now at week 10). My only potential exposure was the unprotected oral. Would having sex with my partner effect the 12 week testing period?

If your "only potential exposure was the unprotected oral," then your HIV test should be 12 weeks from that exposure. Having sex with HIV-negative people during the 12-week testing period would not affect your test results. However, in the unlikely event you were HIV positive, you would be placing those individuals at risk for HIV if the sex was unprotected.

Hope that clarifies the situation for you.

(HIV SCARE)$50 DONATION FOR IMMEDIATE ANSWER
Bizarre stripper story from Canada - PLEASE HELP!