(HIV SCARE)$50 DONATION FOR IMMEDIATE ANSWER
Nov 10, 2005
I am a male & approximately 10 days after uunprotected vaginal sex with a sex worker (I know, very stupid)---I developed a rash in my groin area (each side). They were deep dark red solid blotches about the size of my hand. Then the next day, I noticed a blotchy rash on each of my inner forearms. Both the rashes on my groin & arms were gone within 2-3 days.
Of course I started freaking out and started experiencing what I considered ARS Symptoms. I had subtle night sweats that lasted 4 nights & felt nauseated.
And then my palms started itching terribly for about 5 days & then the skin on my palms and feet started peeling. I really started freaking.
My doctor did tell me even before the test results that it was indeed a Viral Infecton, but not HIV.
Then at week 7-8 after my exposure, I lost my appetite and didn't feel like eating as much as normal. So I went in and got HIV tested again at 9 weeks. Again results were negative.
I know you are going to tell me to test again at 3 months which is where I am right now.
My questions are:
1.) Did any of what I described sound like Acute HIV infection?
2.) How confident can I be about my 9 week Negative test?
3.) What percentage of HIV infected people will test positive at 9 weeks?
Please send the donation instructions with your response.
Thanks you very much!!
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. No, your symptoms are not suggestive of ARS.
2. HIV tests taken prior to three months are not considered definitive. A nine-week test can be considered encouraging at best.
3. No one knows, because we don't recommend nine-week tests. However, I can tell you the majority of folks who eventually seroconvert will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies at nine weeks.
Finally, yes, you guessed my ultimate recommendation: test at the three-month mark! I'll send you my good luck-karma, O.K.? Donation information for my foundation can be found on the Foundation's Web site, www.concertedeffort.org. However, please note my advice here is free and available to all. Donations should be made only as a result of compassion and generosity towards others in need. O.K.?
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Are Shingles An Early Sign Of HIV?
- Does HIV Cause Pain In Penis?
- Is Muscle Ache A Symptom Of Acute HIV Infection?
- How Do I Speed Up Recovery Of Genital Herpes?
- How Long Do You Have To Wait To Have Sex After Using Premarin Vaginal Cream?
- How Long Does It Take For Symptoms From A Std To Show Up?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.