Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Wrong Forum? Need help anyway
Nov 10, 2005

Dr. Bob:

I'm sure this isn't the correct forum, not sure where I'd ask this, but I need your opinion on the Home access test and its reliability. Please post so I can put my mind at ease after my 4 month negative test after 2 minutes of protected sex and frottage. THANKS

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Well actually this is the correct forum. So you are wrong about being wrong.

Next, "protected sex and frottage" is not considered a significant HIV risk if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. Consequently your mind should already be at ease.

Home Access testing is very reliable. You could have found this out very easily by checking the archives. I'll repost a few of the many questions about Home Access test reliability below.

You're welcome!

Dr. Bob

Question about home access test Dec 9, 2004

Hey doc,

This is my 4th time writing you, and while i havent gotten a response from you, your this website has helped me out greatly. I now have the "balls" to be tested . But i was wondering about the accuracy of the home access test.Will it give me a 100 percent conclusive answer to my status? It has been over 7 monthes now since my drunken episodes with 3 women with no protection. Yes i know very stupid .Jut i also have just one more question if i may. I have been coughing alot lately not dry coughs congested sounding coughs and have had a thumping sound in my ear. i havent been able to find a yes or no answer if these are symptoms of hiv. Thanks for this website doc, it really has changed my whole outlook on the hiv infected community. And as soon as i can im going to donate.

Hello,

"Congested sounding coughs and . . . thumping sound in your ear" are not specific for HIV. More importantly, however, is the concept that symptoms do not matter. If you've placed yourself at risk, you need to be tested. Period. Home Access Express Tests use a double EIA (enzyme immunoassay) with confirmatory IFA (immunofluorescence assay). Sensitivity and specificity approach 100%, making this test as accurate as any you would receive in a physician's office or clinical laboratory.

Congratulations on acquiring your new "balls." They should help fill out your Speedos nicely come summer.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Home Access Kits? Sep 3, 2005

Can you tell me if the Home Access test kits sold on Amazon.com are safe?

Thanks.

Hello,

By "safe" I assume you mean reliable, right? Yes, Home Access H-1 Express Test kits are FDA approved and reliable. And since they cost more than $25, I'll bet you'll get free super saver shipping as well! I should remind everyone that Home Access kits do require you use a lancet to get blood that you then apply to a filter strip that gets mailed in a protected envelope using an anonymous code. Home Access tests use a double EIA and a confirmatory immunofluorescence assay. Sensitivity and specificity approach 100%. Results are available in seven days. Callers learn of their negative test results via a prerecorded message. Callers with positive results receive counseling. Counseling is also available for negative-testing callers if desired and requested.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
very high risk encounter, donation forth coming
Next
woo hoo from Romania????

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.