Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Question about results
Nov 10, 2005

Dr. Bob,

Let me start off by saying that I'm low risk. I've had a few screening tests over the past year. I've been donating & that is the reason for the frequent testing. The results have always been negative. My Dr. called me after the last screening & said that my Elisa test came back positive. The lab then did WB. That came back indeterminate. He said there was no hiv band in my blood, but that I would be aggervated because the test was ruled indeterminate because they couldn't get a clear read. He said that I needed to re do the tests so I did. Hiv1 Elisa, WB, PCN came back negative. The Hiv2 Elisa, WB were negative. The lab didn't do Hiv 2 PCN. They were not for sure if that needed to be done. I gave more blood for this test. I haven't heard back. My Dr. has told me that I had a false positive result. I don't understand why the first WB was indeterminate. What would cause an indeterminate? I've spent the last few weeks terrified.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You are definitively HIV negative. There is no longer any reason to be terrified or even "aggervated."

Indeterminate Western Blot tests are fairly common (from 4 to 20% in some studies!). There are a variety of reasons why an HIV Western Blot may be indeterminate, including:

1. Serologic tests taken during the process or seroconversion

2. Late-stage HIV infection

3. Cross-reacting non-specific antibodies

4. Infection with O strain or HIV-2

5. HIV vaccine recipients (those in clinical trials)

6. Technical errors

7. Clerical errors

That your repeat HIV-1, HIV-2, Western Blot and PCR are all negative is absolutely definitive and conclusive proof that you are HIV negative.

Stop worrying!

Dr. Bob

Previous
PLEASE PLEASE.Need your advice.
Next
Check archive, couldn't find similar question, Pls assess my risk

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.