Your responses help me not lose sight...

Dr. Bob,

I don't have a question...but I was wanting to just say that I read your forum on a regular basis for no reason other than to see how much hope you give to people that need it.

I am currently a first year medical student and sometimes the stress gets really overwhelming (we have our gross anatomy shelf tomorrow!) and I ask myself "Why am I doing this?" Your site helps me to not forget why I want to do this...to make a difference everyday in someone's life.

Thank you Dr. Bob,

first year med student

Hi First-Year Med. Student,

Thank you for your very kind comments. I'm delighted and encouraged that your reason to become a physician is "to make a difference every day in someone's life." That is a more mature and appropriate reason than most first-year students would give. Physicians who realize their role is "to make a difference," but not necessarily to cure, are the most effective. I look forward to someday having you as a colleague. Don't worry too much about the stress of gross anatomy or any of the other challenging aspects of medical school. Things improve dramatically and get much more interesting as you progress through your courses and eventually hit the wards. I'm confident with your current attitude, you'll do fine. Remember to pay attention to clinical immunology classes. We could use some help managing the HIV/AIDS pandemic!

Stay well. You're already making a difference.

Can I woohoo or gobble gobble
Sex with prostitute w/ condom. I am married with young family. HELP