Alcoholics Testing Window

Dr Bob, Thank you for your contributions to society and to people struggling with living with HIV. I have made my first donation to your foundation and will continue to donate when possible. About 6 and months ago I put myself in a risky situation and had unprotected sex with a person of unknown status. Afterwards, I noticed blood when I was cleaning myself. A month later I became extremely fatigued and since then have experienced just about all the other symptoms (fever, night sweats, swollen nodes, ). I am an alcoholic who has recently begun treatment after 13 years of heavy drinking. I received a non-reactive test for HIV (ELISA gen3) 26 weeks post possible exposure. Is my 26 week test conclusive or does my alcoholic past extend my window period?

Alcoholism, past or present, will not affect HIV test results. Whatever was causing your symptoms, it was not HIV! Your results are conclusive.

Congratulations both on your negative HIV status and on beginning treatment for your alcohol problem.

Thank you for your donation to my foundation. It will help provide crucial services to men, women and children struggling with the challenges of AIDS.

Good luck in your recovery. Stay well.

Took my BF to see the HIV specialist - a few questions for you Doc
Re: Unprotected oral sex with cut penis