The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Alcoholics Testing Window

Nov 6, 2005

Dr Bob, Thank you for your contributions to society and to people struggling with living with HIV. I have made my first donation to your foundation and will continue to donate when possible. About 6 and months ago I put myself in a risky situation and had unprotected sex with a person of unknown status. Afterwards, I noticed blood when I was cleaning myself. A month later I became extremely fatigued and since then have experienced just about all the other symptoms (fever, night sweats, swollen nodes, ). I am an alcoholic who has recently begun treatment after 13 years of heavy drinking. I received a non-reactive test for HIV (ELISA gen3) 26 weeks post possible exposure. Is my 26 week test conclusive or does my alcoholic past extend my window period?

Response from Dr. Frascino


Alcoholism, past or present, will not affect HIV test results. Whatever was causing your symptoms, it was not HIV! Your results are conclusive.

Congratulations both on your negative HIV status and on beginning treatment for your alcohol problem.

Thank you for your donation to my foundation. It will help provide crucial services to men, women and children struggling with the challenges of AIDS.

Good luck in your recovery. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Took my BF to see the HIV specialist - a few questions for you Doc
Re: Unprotected oral sex with cut penis

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint