marijuana

Dear Dr. Bob,

I am a negative hetero male, three months ago I lost my brother in law to lewkemia, I smoke marijuana before going to bed to keep my carpal tunnel syndrome at bay (nothing has woeked but this herb).

to the point: I convinced my late in law to smoke marijuana to keep his food down and rid him of nausea, it worked, and greately improved his quality of life. now Im working with HIV/AIDS patients (IM a psychologist)and have a moral dilema, I know for a fact that marijuana will help keep meds down and increase apetite in HIV/AIDS patients, some of them use it already, so what to do when confronted with the question "should I smoke marijuana to get rid of nausea and keep my meds down?" I know I should say yes, give it a try, because Ive seen (and experienced) first hand what this herb does, but at the same time it would be ilegal for me to say yes, but as you and I know, something isnt right or wrong only because its "legal", like you cant marry Dr. Steve cause its "ilegal", but it doesnt seem wrong at all.

can you tell me your view on this dilema.

Im not asociated with any gvmnt agency, and Im not even a US citizen.

thank you in advance, Puzzled Consuelor

From an HIV physician specialist perspective, I must state there are a variety of prescription and nonprescription products that can improve appetite and decrease nausea/vomiting. There is even a pill form of the active ingredient in marijuana (THC) called Marinol, which is available by prescription. That said, however, personally I see no reason why medical marijuana should not be legalized. Eventually I'm sure it will be.

So what do you tell your clients today? Well, you might suggest they move to Denver. The residents there have recently voted to legalize possession of small quantities of marijuana. I guess the nickname "Mile High City" may now take on an entirely new meaning, eh?

Here I am, Once again
please answer... scared out of my mind