Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Canadian firefighter should have known better.
Nov 6, 2005

At a party I met an attractive woman. We proceeded to get to know each other and one thing lead to another. Soon I had her breast in my mouth and before I knew it I had discovered that she was lactating and I had a few drops of breast secretions in my mouth. Not expecting such a thing I swallowed the secretions. Then immediately it dawned on me what had just happened. I stopped everything right there. There were no other sex acts performed. From my job as a fire fighter we are tranined in being safe at all times. I should have known better than to try to have sex with someone I knew nothing about!! The next day I found out that this attractive woman uses drugs (alot) and I started to get worried. I found your website and spent hours a day reading everything I could about HIV. My worries soon got out of hand and I was sure I was experiencing classic ARS symptoms. I soon became obsessive with checking my lymph nodes for swelling. I would do it so often that I didn't even know I was doing it. Plus I lost some weight and woke up a few nights per weeks with night sweats. I even came down with a classic case of Globus Hystericus. Every sore muscle had to be myalgia. I became a basket case. I couldn't sleep at night. My anxiety was ruining my life. It was horrible. At 13 weeks to the day post exposure, I went to the STD free clinic and had an HIV test done. My results were due back a week later. On the day that my results were due, I was actually very happy because finally I would know. That seemed better than the anxiety. I got the results for HIV 1 & HIV 2. NEGATIVE..Woooooo Hoooooooo. You are right...everyone should just bite the bullet and go get tested. they will feel so much better. Thanks you so much for your help Dr. Bob. A big donation is on the way. Here is my question: how long does it take for the HIV virus to cross a mucus membrane? seconds? hours? days?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Canadian Firefighter,

Thank you for taking the time to write in and share your story and great news. WOO-HOO-eh?!?!?!!!

As for how long it takes HIV to cross a mucous membrane, the answer is quite variable and depends on many factors, including viral strain and characteristics of the specific mucous membrane. In general, the range would be counted in minutes, not days.

Thank you for your courageous work as a firefighter and also for your generous donation to my foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Stay well. Stay safe.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Finger Prick Hand Job
Next
oral is risky

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.