Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Told you I will keep trying
Nov 2, 2005

Dear Dr. BOB I have asked you this question a couple of times earlier, but no reply, but ofcourse I do understand that you get thousands of questions daily, but I will keep trying and hoping for an answer. I had probably an unsafe exposure around 4 months back in bangkok. I had protected vaginal sex but unprotected insertive oral sex with a sex worker. Als o not sure whether some vaginal fluid was transferred to the inside of the condom before wearing it. Obviously worried , I did 3 PCR DNA qualitative tests at 7days, 21 days and 3 months after exposure - negative. 2 HIV DUO tests at 21 days and 3 months post exposure - negative. and a standard elisa test at 3 months post exposure - negative. Please Doctore, please help me coz this experience is really really driving me crazy. I need to know from you whether I can woo-hoo or do I need to do another test. Please Please reply doctor. I just admire you and your work for the benefit of all humanity, and am praying for you and your family. I too will try and donate whatever I can to your foundation. God bless you Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I have not responded previously because your question is so very similar to many others in the archives. (Have a look!) And my response to you is exactly the same as my response to the others. Briefly:

1. Your risk: protected vaginal/unprotected insertive oral with sex worker of unknown HIV status.

2. Your risk assessment: "Protected" sex is "protected," if the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. Oral sex carries an extremely low risk of HIV transmission.

3. Your HIV tests: three PCR DNA qualitative assays all negative out to three months; two HIV DUO tests, negative out to three months; ELISA negative at three months.

4. Assessment of HIV tests: in my opinion a single HIV-antibody test at three months would have been sufficient. I do not recommend PCR testing for routine screening, due to false positives and cost.

5. Bottom line: you are definitively and conclusively HIV negative.

6. Next step: WOO-HOO.

Thank you for your donation and willingness to help others (www.concertedeffort.org).

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
retinitis during acute infection???
Next
needle prick in butt @ party

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.