Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

retinitis during acute infection???
Nov 1, 2005

Dear Dr. Bob,

About 6 weeks ago I had sex with a girl and have had symptoms like an acute hiv infection since the next day. I tested negative for ELISA and undetectable for hiv RNA-PCR after 17 days. I dont know if im hiv+ or not (will find out in a few weeks when I repeat the ELISA) but one of my symptoms was pain in the back of my eyes. Yesterday I went to my eye doctor and he sayd I have a retinitis. Is it possible to CMV to attack my eye during an hiv acute infection??

Please forgive my english and I just would like to say that Ive been reading about your work and your answers this last few weeks and I think you are an amazing person doing a priceless job. Thank you so much, you are probably the only reason I can get to sleep a little bit this last few weeks!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Is it possible to get CMV retinitis during acute HIV infection? No. It is not. CMV retinitis related to HIV is an opportunistic infection that occurs only when the immune system is severely compromised.

You do not have CMV retinitis. You don't even have a positive HIV test!

I suggest you talk to your eye doctor. There are causes for "retinitis" other than CMV.

Also, I should remind you that your "symptoms like an acute HIV infection since the next day" would not be HIV related. HIV-related symptoms would not occur for several weeks following exposure and infection.

I suggest you relax, get some sleep, stop worrying about CMV and repeat your HIV ELISA test at the three-month mark, O.K.?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
indeterminate western blot, no elise test taken
Next
Told you I will keep trying

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.