Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

indeterminate western blot, no elise test taken
Nov 1, 2005

I went to my doctor for what i thought was early strep throat. That was negative. He called me back in, told me he had ran a western blot and the results were indeterminate and I need to be retested in a month. He asked me if I had ever had a HIV test ran, he could not find one in my records. So does having an indeterminate western blot mean I would have a postive Elise (or same type of test) definitely show up positive. He said nothing about running one on me or that he had and I thought the western blot was the confirmitory test. I have had a HIV test approx. 1 year ago and it was negative. I have had sex one time, with one person since. What scares me is it was a Saturday that this sex happened, and Monday night I started feeling bad and by Tuesday I had these flu like, swollen neck glands, low grade fever that sounds very much like the sickness the say most experience shortly after being infected. It was that Thursday when the Western Blot was performed.

The hotline number told me that it is not possible to have a negative elise with an indeterminate western blot but I have read on here of some people reporting that. Could you please clear me up and help me understand where I stand at?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I see several red flags here:

1. Your doctor ran an HIV test on you without your consent or knowledge?

2. A Western Blot was run without an ELISA???

3. To resolve your indeterminate Western Blot, he wants you to be retested in a month??

Hmmm . . . in my book that's 1-2-3 strikes you're out! Out of his office! I'd suggest you go back to him only to collect your medical records so you can establish care with a more competent and compassionate physician. You should also ask him:

1. Why would you run an HIV test without my knowledge or consent? (It's illegal to do so.)

2. Why would you run a Western Blot without and ELISA? (It makes no sense to do so.)

3. Why do you think repeating this test in a month is the best way to determine what's going on? (This can be sorted out efficiently and quickly by ordering the appropriate tests now.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
never heard this one
Next
retinitis during acute infection???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.