Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is giving Oral High Risk?
Nov 1, 2005

I've been with my boyfriend for 8 years. We are both currently Negative tested regularly most recent 2 weeks ago. It is one of those relationships where I'm faithful to my bf, but he feels the need to give and receive oral pleasure from other folks on a VERY regular basis usually 3 different partners a week. The only rule is he has to tell me who he's with & being honest.

We've had friends who say they've willingly and knowingly given head to poz guys and never contracted HIV.

Myself, I worry about my boyfriend because the # of people he been with and contiues to be with "only oraly".

Are there any true statistics regarding the possiblity of contracting HIV from giving/receiving Oral?

Should I be worried?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The risk of acquiring HIV from any type of oral sex is low. The estimated per-act risk for insertive unprotected oral sex is 0.5 per 10,000 exposures to an infected partner. That estimated risk increases to 1 per 10,000 exposures for unprotected receptive oral sex. Having an STD can increase the chance of getting infected with HIV during oral sex. STDs that cause sores or blisters (like syphilis and herpes) are easily transmitted during oral sex getting or giving.

Should you be worried??? That depends on the level of risk you are willing to accept. If your boyfriend is averaging three different partners every week, his risk for STDs is significant, even if his overall risk of HIV remains low.

Dr. Bob

Previous
20 and + for 2 years
Next
Possible positive test after 4 weeks

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.