tested positive, my partner did not

Dr.Bob,

Last Friday, I tested positive for HIV, the test that was used was the ora quick. I guess, I find it very encouraging that my results could be a false positive, I pray to GOD! That very same day I dragged my partner down to the doctors office to have him tested and he tested negative. And we had been in this manogomus relationship, for the past 6 months is there any reason why, I would test Positive and he would test non-reactive?

The most common reason you would test positive and your partner, non-reactive, is indeed the possibility that you are HIV infected and he is not. Another reason to consider would be a false-positive test result. As I hope you have been informed by now, negative (non-reactive) OraQuick tests are considered definitive; however, positive tests need confirmation by standard serology before being considered conclusive. Your next step is to get a standard ELISA test and confirmatory Western Blot, if the ELISA is positive. If these tests are negative, your initial OraQuick would be considered a false positive. However, if they are positive, you'll need to contact an HIV specialist for additional evaluation. And your partner will require follow-up tests beyond the window period, based on the last potential exposure (unprotected sex event).

Good luck to you both!

Reply to Donation on the way
Wohooooooooooooooo. WORRIED WELLS MUST READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!