CMV prevention for newly pos. NICU RN

Thank you so much for being such a great source for questions! I'm a 29 y/o male and have been working as an RN in the NICU for 3 years. Last month I tested positive for HIV. I've been using this site to gather data to back-up my beliefs that unprotected sex between two positive men is still dangerous and irresponsible. It's been determined that I've most suredly got a naive and non-virulent version of this little b#sta%d. In doing my research, I was reminded that CMV, though only a mere nuisance to the non-immunocompromised adult population, may be a significant problem for myself. I am aware that, as a nurse in the NICU, I am at increased risk for contracting CMV. I am also of the understanding that simple universal precautions are sufficient enough to prevent infection of this virus. One of the things that has help me psycho-socially in the past weeks since my diagnosis is that I work in an environment that is not contraindicated to me giving patient care. My babies are all safe from me. The support that I have recieved from my Unit managers and co-workers who I have decided to confide in has been tremendously empowering. This is my family here at work and I don't plan on going anywhere else. So my question is...Am I safe from my babies?

Sorry to hear about your recent HIV diagnosis. Are you under the care of an HIV/AIDS specialist? If not, you should consult a competent HIV/AIDS specialist at your earliest convenience. That specialist will give you very specific advice, not only regarding CMV, but also on a wide range of other issues as well.

Regarding CMV, the virus is extremely common. Most epidemiological studies indicate that 50%-85% of the U.S. population tests positive for CMV (past infection) by they time they are 40. A healthy immune system generally keeps this virus in check. Your HIV/AIDS specialist will check the health of your immune system (CD4 cell count, etc.) and also determine if you've been exposed to CMV ("CMV IgG" test).

CMV is a member of the herpes virus family and is found in saliva, urine, semen and cervical secretions. It can be spread by sexual contact. It can also be easily spread by other forms of physical contact. If you are CMV-IgG negative and work with infants or young children, the precautions to avoid infection include:

1. thorough hand washing after contact with urine or saliva and

2. avoiding oral contact with saliva or objects covered in saliva.

I am glad your coworker and unit managers are supportive. I am a Board Certified Pediatrician a career path I followed prior to continuing on with my postdoctoral studies in the field of Adult and Pediatric Clinical Immunology, Allergy and Asthma and subsequently moving into the field of HIV medicine. I have many vivid memories of long nights in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). NICUs are unique wards that require dedicated and compassionate RNs. Thank you for your service to these struggling infants!

Good luck. Stay well.

I coming to America so that I know the answer of doctor Bob
Reply to Donation on the way