Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hi dr. bob, 2 quickies never been asked
Oct 29, 2005

Hey br. Bob. I could start this submission by telling you what a wonderful man you are, and how many people you've helped with your expert advice. I'm one of them, you can't imagine how many times your website relaxed me and got me up and running again.

My first question to you has nothing to do with HIV, more than a curiosity: I've read in this forum tonnes of times about concerts you make, and I was just wondering, if one wants to attend a concert of yours, where do we get the concert schedual?!?! or where can we buy the tickets also?!?!

On to my next question: I was hanging out with a friend of mine who's HIV status in unknown. He was smoking a cigarette and he offered me a puff. Not thinking, I took the cigarette and I noticed he had a cut on his lip. I took the cigarette in my hand, kinda whiped the filer with my thumb and index, and took 3 puffs. The first puff, the cigarette barely touched my lips, and I directly spat and cleaned my lips with my hand shortly afterwards. The second puff, I placed my fingers on top of the filter and took a puff by placing my lips on my finger. And then the third puff was a normal one. Now my question is, could I contract anything from that situation regarding HIV and STDs, and considering what I did? Please I would realy appreciate an answer.

A Huge Fan from California.

P.S: I promised myself, God, and the world that I would never put another cigarette in my mouth!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

"Quickies" (all types) can be fun! But that's another story.

Regarding your question quickies . . . .

1. Yes, both Steve (Dr. Steve, the expert in The Body's Tratamientos Forum) and I are trained classical pianists as well as physicians. Since 1996 we have given a series of concerts to benefit HIV/AIDS causes worldwide. To date we have raised nearly one million dollars for crucial AIDS services and for HIV/AIDS awareness/education. Some events are private fundraisers; others are open to the public. Our largest annual event, called "Concerted Effort," is open to the public and takes place in the San Francisco Bay Area. The 2005 event took place at Le Petit Trianon theatre in San Jose on April 24. The next California event is still in the planning stages, but will most likely not take place until summer 2006. You can watch for news about the event on The Foundation's Web site, www.concertedeffort.org. Also, if you would like to be added to The Foundation's mailing list, just contact The Foundation and give us your address. We send out newsletters and concert updates periodically.

2. Your risk of contracting HIV or other STDs from sharing a cigarette with a buddy whose HIV status is unknown is nonexistent. You can put those worries complete to bed and let them R.I.P.! O.K.?

By the way, I absolutely agree with your decision not to smoke. It does not carry a risk for STDs, but it will kill you by other means emphysema, cancer, etc.

Stay healthy!

Dr. Bob

Previous
UPDATE CAN U PLS ANSWER?!
Next
Anonymous, Confidential, Regular Testing a clinic... Which is best?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.