Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

UPDATE CAN U PLS ANSWER?!
Oct 28, 2005

Dear Dr Bob,

Thanks for answering my first question about my test, but now i've gotten a weird test result: i got a non reactive elisa, but it was 'a little bit reactive' and they did a western blot test on it to make sure, and it came out non reactive, so im not sure what to think this test was done week 28. I've gone to the shrink, and hes given me zoloft which is throwing my anxiety to full blast. like i said before i feeeeeeeeel so sick, and im freaking out, and all this new doctor could do is refer me to the lab tech to explain things, no one knows about hiv here, its really sad. now im freaking out its hiv 2! also the clinic told me at first that ' they did two elisa tests' but when i asked her again she said only one, and on that one, in the first line there was a very very small reaction. ugh Dr. Bob, im seriously at the end of the rope, sometimes zoloft just makes things worse with the bad thoughts. i honestly just want to be sedated!!! i cant do this anymore. pls help me again!! oh and btw, this clinic told me i was going to be positive!!!!!

A RAPID TEST AND I DIDNT KNOW!!!!! Aug 17, 2005 Dear Dr Bob,

I was reading on a website that Rapid blood tests arent good for higher risk populations, i.e homosexuelles, i took a rapid blood test 14 weeks and i wasnt told i was taking a rapid blood test until i called the advice nurse!!!!!!!!i thougth i was taking a regular EIA and now my world is spinning around because it came back negative but now i feel sick (maybe stress) since the test, and i think the damn rapid blood test missed that i am poz!!!!!! my doctor also told me that gays have to wait 6 months, and now im on my 5th month and im having so many symptoms ( i hope im a WW), but please explain this to me before i do something drastic! i dont know if i could live with myself and my doc not explaining anything to me!!!!!!!! sincerely confused !!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You read what??? Rapid tests aren't good for higher risk populations, such as homosexuals??? Oh my . . . . Dude, relax. Neither the rapid HIV test nor the virus itself really cares if someone likes penis popsicles or not. Rapid tests are fine for all populations.

Next, your doctor told you that gays have to wait six months??? Oh my, again . . . .! Dude, you have been getting a wealth of misinformation lately. Hey, what does your doc say about bisexuals? 4.5 months? And what about "I only tried it once in college" guys? Maybe 3.75 months?

Your 14-week rapid test is accurate and definitive. You don't need another type of test or to wait for the "gay window period." Rather, you need more scientifically accurate Web sites for your information and you need a more rational physician. Both should not be difficult to locate.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The clinic told you that you were going to be positive???? What????? If that's the case, you desperately need a new clinic. I'll keep this simple and straightforward.

1. You are HIV negative based on the test results you've had done so far, including your negative 14-week rapid test and negative Western Blot at 28 weeks.

2. Continue to work with your psychiatrist and give the Zoloft a chance to kick in. Anxiety and irrational fear, not HIV, are the problems you need to confront at this time. Stay focused on these very real, very treatable conditions instead of chasing after and worrying about a disease (HIV) you do not have.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Just Wanted to Share My Story
Next
Hi dr. bob, 2 quickies never been asked

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.