Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Putting potential risk in perspective.
Oct 27, 2005

Welcome back, Dr. Bob!

It's your old ex-WW pal Justin Case. It's been a lonely place here without your presence; but the archives still were tons of fun to read in your absence.

However, I noticed that there are two ends of the spectrum when evaluating the potential estimated per-incident HIV risk. There's the "ohmygod, i just touched a stripper's tit and i've contracted HIV" approach, and the "the odds are so low that I have nothing to worry about" approach.

I'm sure that you and many of your readers have seen this little adage a few times in the past, but I figured I'd repost it to emphasize one of your previous statements that read "HIV is difficult to get, but not as difficult to get as those infected by it thought:"

Assuming that there was only a .01% chance of HIV contraction (and a 99.9% chance of not contracting it):

* Every day two planes would crash at Chicagos OHare Airport. * Southwest Airlines would have 702 planes crash annually. * 12 newborn babies would be dropped on delivery each day. * 4,368 babies would be given to the wrong parents annually. * 2 million documents would be lost by the IRS this year. * Also, the IRS would incorrectly process 103,260 returns this year. * In the next 60 minutes, 22,000 checks will be deducted from the wrong bank account. * Every minute 1,314 telephone calls would be misdirected by telecommunication services. * As many as 268,500 defective tires would be shipped in the next year. * In the next hour, 18,322 pieces of mail would be mishandled. * In the next year, 55 malfunctioning automatic teller machines would be installed. * 107 incorrect medical procedures would be performed each day. * Over 20,000 prescriptions would be filled incorrectly annually.

So, with all the sex going on out there, it's still important to take proper safer-sex precautions, however it's equally as important not to freak out if the occasional protection faux-pas occurs.

Best wishes, Dr. Bob..

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Justin,

I'm delighted to hear you are still "X-filing" and appreciate your taking the time to help put HIV transmission risk in its proper perspective.

Regarding condom failures or other unavoidable HIV exposures, everyone should also be aware of PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis). All sexually active folks need to be HIV savvy "just in case."

Stay well, my friend.

Dr. Bob

Previous
GIVING ORAL SEX LOW RISK?
Next
Great doctor, better person

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.