Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Italia e preservativi
Oct 27, 2005

Dr. Bob, I hope you had a wonderful time in "la madrepatria." Rome, Naples, and Taomrina are three of my absolute favorite places. (I hope you saw the erotic art from Pompei at the archeological museum in Napoli.) I was in Sicily myself during the summer and noticed condom vending machines on the main streets of Catania and Palermo. If condoms can be easily available in such a Catholic country, what's the problem here in the US? Any thoughts re this and the larger issue of HIV prevention strategies here and in Europe?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Buon giorno.

Si, Taormina era spettacolare.

As for the condom vending machines in Italy, the best answer is that we Italians love sex, lots and lots of sex. We also have common sense. The result is that we have "condom sense" as well. It's also worth noting that "preservativi" (condoms) are readily available not only in Catholic Italy, but also in every port we visited Greece, Turkey, Spain, France and Monaco. So what's the problem here in the U.S.? Well, perhaps the fact our current administration doesn't "believe" in condoms. (Add it to the list with global warming, evolution and the Geneva Convention rules against torture.) Apparently they are much more committed to "faith-based" programs that portend to save souls rather than saving lives. This, in my opinion, is immoral.

Stay safe. Stay well. Stay Protected.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Contaminé ou pas ?
Next
Thank god! PEP is over!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.