Italia e preservativi

Dr. Bob, I hope you had a wonderful time in "la madrepatria." Rome, Naples, and Taomrina are three of my absolute favorite places. (I hope you saw the erotic art from Pompei at the archeological museum in Napoli.) I was in Sicily myself during the summer and noticed condom vending machines on the main streets of Catania and Palermo. If condoms can be easily available in such a Catholic country, what's the problem here in the US? Any thoughts re this and the larger issue of HIV prevention strategies here and in Europe?

Buon giorno.

Si, Taormina era spettacolare.

As for the condom vending machines in Italy, the best answer is that we Italians love sex, lots and lots of sex. We also have common sense. The result is that we have "condom sense" as well. It's also worth noting that "preservativi" (condoms) are readily available not only in Catholic Italy, but also in every port we visited Greece, Turkey, Spain, France and Monaco. So what's the problem here in the U.S.? Well, perhaps the fact our current administration doesn't "believe" in condoms. (Add it to the list with global warming, evolution and the Geneva Convention rules against torture.) Apparently they are much more committed to "faith-based" programs that portend to save souls rather than saving lives. This, in my opinion, is immoral.

Stay safe. Stay well. Stay Protected.

Contaminé ou pas ?
Thank god! PEP is over!