Immigration and HIV

This is a fabulous site! Very educative. I have been poz for now 7 yrs, since 1999. I started meds in 2000 and my CD4 counts are incredible! Over 700 and at undetectable levels. I thank God for that. I am an East African living currently in Nairobi, Kenya. The reason I am posing this question is because I need advise on immigration to US as a non-immigrant. I was granted a two year US visa in Aug 2005 and my financee, an American, wants to marry me in US next year. Yes! He knows my status and he has been very supportive, we have been dating for 11 years. I was diagonised in the middle of our relationsip... and thank God he didn't abandon me. He is negative, that makes us a discordant couple.

Currently, I am visiting him in New York as well as eploring. I will be returning to Nairobi at the end of this month. I am skeptical however, on the immigration laws in America. After interrogating some of my friends who were recently given permament resident status in US, they told me that a thorough medical check-up is part of the process before being granted the status to leave in US permanently, even after marriage.

All I want to know is that does the immigration in US judge/denounce once eligibility of becoming a permanent resident in US by their health? I have accessed similar questions on this site but I have not found what I'm looking for. Can anyone advise? Thanks

Twinkle

Thanks for your kind comments about this site and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Regarding your specific question, I cannot give you a precise answer, as the immigration laws are fairly complex, and I would not want to provide you with an inaccurate or incomplete response. To ascertain how your HIV-positive status would affect your "immigration to the U.S. as a non-immigrant," I would suggest you contact your local Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) office and/or a private immigration lawyer.

Good luck!

Can I Woo Hoo!
Weight and spots