Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Immigration and HIV
Oct 26, 2005

This is a fabulous site! Very educative. I have been poz for now 7 yrs, since 1999. I started meds in 2000 and my CD4 counts are incredible! Over 700 and at undetectable levels. I thank God for that. I am an East African living currently in Nairobi, Kenya. The reason I am posing this question is because I need advise on immigration to US as a non-immigrant. I was granted a two year US visa in Aug 2005 and my financee, an American, wants to marry me in US next year. Yes! He knows my status and he has been very supportive, we have been dating for 11 years. I was diagonised in the middle of our relationsip... and thank God he didn't abandon me. He is negative, that makes us a discordant couple.

Currently, I am visiting him in New York as well as eploring. I will be returning to Nairobi at the end of this month. I am skeptical however, on the immigration laws in America. After interrogating some of my friends who were recently given permament resident status in US, they told me that a thorough medical check-up is part of the process before being granted the status to leave in US permanently, even after marriage.

All I want to know is that does the immigration in US judge/denounce once eligibility of becoming a permanent resident in US by their health? I have accessed similar questions on this site but I have not found what I'm looking for. Can anyone advise? Thanks

Twinkle

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Thanks for your kind comments about this site and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Regarding your specific question, I cannot give you a precise answer, as the immigration laws are fairly complex, and I would not want to provide you with an inaccurate or incomplete response. To ascertain how your HIV-positive status would affect your "immigration to the U.S. as a non-immigrant," I would suggest you contact your local Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) office and/or a private immigration lawyer.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can I Woo Hoo!
Next
Weight and spots

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.