Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What to tell my son...
Oct 19, 2005

I recently became extremely sick with fungal menengitis. I was feeling sick for the last 8 months but finally got to the point of losing my balance and went to the hospital. Test came back positive for HIV. Now its 3 months later, my CD 4 count is rising, I feel great, my viral load dropped from over 700,000 to 9,00. Im ready to fight this battle but I also have a 3 yr old son who asks me why I went to the doctor and was gone for 2 weeks. He asks me "Are you sick?" I say no but eventually I will have to address this to him. Any suggestions?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I recommend always being honest. That certainly doesn't mean you have to try to explain AIDS or fungal meningitis to your three-year old. You should, however, answer his specific questions truthfully, giving just the information he asked for and offering reassurance at the same time. For instance, if he asks, "Were you sick?" you could respond, "Yes, I was, but I'm better now." As he gets a bit older, he'll understand the concept of "germs" and the need for "medicines." (Like Grandma catching a cold and needing to take cough medicine, etc.) The thing to remember is that there is no need to provide more information than he asked for; however, he'll appreciate your honesty as the years go by. With proper treatment and your positive attitude to fight this battle, hopefully you'll have many, many, many of those years together.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
the lust theory
Next
I'm a mom with 2 little boys if you won't answer back for me ,please help me for them

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.