Trying to keep it together at sea (Donation coming when back in port)

Doc, I have to say, what you have done for everyone here is amazing but I really need your help. On our way out to deployment, we had a port of call in a small town in Maine. I had unprotected oral sex with an older woman, I then had a fairly brief protected vaginal intercourse. My paranoid/X-Files type problems? Well the condom was kind of a shady, dime store type condom that I was sure had been in this ladies car. If it didnt break though I was still protected, correct? It is my understanding that condoms are designed to fail catastrophically and if there is even the smallest break in the latex, the condom shreds, am I wrong in this assumption? Also are the demographics and location working in my favor, baing that it was Maine and all. I know HIV can come from anywhere and to never assume otherwise but I am killing myself with worry and guilt. I am not even goign to go into symptoms and such, because I feel lousy so often (hazard of the job) I know I can really worry about a poorly timed sore throught and muscle aches. I suppose I just need someone to tell me if I am just a paranoid and guilty crazyman or If I am really infected. Thank you so much for all of the reassurance you give, I look foreward to donating more to your Foundation so you can continue the wonderful work you do.

Thanks Doc, Scared on the Sea

Hello Scared at Sea,

You want me to tell you that you are just a paranoid and guilty crazy-man? O.K. you're just a paranoid and guilty crazy-man. There. Feel better?

Unprotected oral and brief protected vaginal would have an extremely minimal risk of HIV transmission, whether in Maine, Amsterdam's red light hooker district or on Mars. If the latex condom didn't break and was used properly, yes, you would be protected. And yes, when condoms break, it's not a subtle occurrence. After all, it's just a very thin piece of latex stretched over a massive throbbing member. Right? So, if the latex begins to rip, it should be very obvious.

Finally, if you're worried, get tested at the three-month mark to calm your fears.

Thanks for the donation (www.concertedeffort.org)!

Stay well, Sailor Boy.

Bob says "No Cure In Sight"
Open Heart Surgery/Blood Donation