Traumatic Asplenia will it give a false positive elisa test
Sep 30, 2005
Case: 50y M s/p traumatic splenectomy secondary to MVA; No IVDA, no homosexual/bisexual behavior. Tested + for HIV antibody from Home Access Kit. Can the aspenia cause a false positive?
Response from Dr. Frascino
No. There is no link between losing a spleen and gaining anti-HIV antibodies. However, a positive Home Access test is not considered a true positive test until it is confirmed by a more specific blood test (ELISA and Western Blot).
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Reaction Paper Of Sexual Transmitted Infection?
- What Are The Little White Bumps On My Penis? Not A Std?
- Can You Take Bactrim For A Sore Throat?
- Does Cancer Affect Hiv Antibody Test?
- Has Anyone Got Hiv Through Deep Kissing And Genital Rubbing
- How Much Blood Is Required To Cause HIV Through Kissing?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.