Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Herbs and HIV
Sep 30, 2005

HI doctor.

can Herbs treat (not cure) HIV better than the drugs we have. If no, why not. I used herbs (some type of dough)on my pilonidal cyst wound (huge) that wouldn't heal by itself and it healed it in 2 weeks.

I guess I'm talking in general (not just HIV) why aren't herbs the number 1 recomended choice. I'm in pre-med, and normaly should be against their usage, but I must say... scientifically, they are better. Come on, isn't anything made from God much stonger than human made, whom is I guess made by God too.

Thank you. U of Mich student.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello U. of Mich. Stud,

If you get into medical school, chances are you'll change your mind rather quickly about medications versus herbs in the treatment of significant diseases. I will point out that many medications were developed from herbs or plants. For instance, Marinol is a prescription medication that contains THC, the active ingredient of the king of all herbs Marijuana! Marinol is prescribed as an appetite stimulant. It's just like getting the munchies after spending time with your bong.

As for "anything made from God is much stronger than human made?" Nope. Once you have your first pharmacology class, you'll understand better how science can standardize, purify and concentrate the medicinally active components of various plants or chemical compounds.

Good luck with your studies and potential future career in medicine. But do pay attention to the differences between religious beliefs and science. A good example is the creationism vs. evolution controversy currently raging in some Midwest states. Intelligent design has no scientific basis and will eventually be debunked. People can "believe" what they want; they just have to maintain the distinction between science and fantasy. For instance, do we teach the laws of gravity (science) or do we teach impressionable youth that they might held to the ground by invisible rubber bands on their Nikes? If you want to become an effective physician, I suggest you stay grounded in science.

Dr. Bob

Previous
You wouldn't answer me...look at me now!
Next
REDUNDANT!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.