Herbs and HIV

HI doctor.

can Herbs treat (not cure) HIV better than the drugs we have. If no, why not. I used herbs (some type of dough)on my pilonidal cyst wound (huge) that wouldn't heal by itself and it healed it in 2 weeks.

I guess I'm talking in general (not just HIV) why aren't herbs the number 1 recomended choice. I'm in pre-med, and normaly should be against their usage, but I must say... scientifically, they are better. Come on, isn't anything made from God much stonger than human made, whom is I guess made by God too.

Thank you. U of Mich student.

Hello U. of Mich. Stud,

If you get into medical school, chances are you'll change your mind rather quickly about medications versus herbs in the treatment of significant diseases. I will point out that many medications were developed from herbs or plants. For instance, Marinol is a prescription medication that contains THC, the active ingredient of the king of all herbs Marijuana! Marinol is prescribed as an appetite stimulant. It's just like getting the munchies after spending time with your bong.

As for "anything made from God is much stronger than human made?" Nope. Once you have your first pharmacology class, you'll understand better how science can standardize, purify and concentrate the medicinally active components of various plants or chemical compounds.

Good luck with your studies and potential future career in medicine. But do pay attention to the differences between religious beliefs and science. A good example is the creationism vs. evolution controversy currently raging in some Midwest states. Intelligent design has no scientific basis and will eventually be debunked. People can "believe" what they want; they just have to maintain the distinction between science and fantasy. For instance, do we teach the laws of gravity (science) or do we teach impressionable youth that they might held to the ground by invisible rubber bands on their Nikes? If you want to become an effective physician, I suggest you stay grounded in science.

You wouldn't answer me...look at me now!
REDUNDANT!