About PEP

9.22.5 Dr. Bob, I just had unpro- tected bb sex w/ a hiv infected person. I was nervous and went searching the web and found you and the Body. I just stopped crying from laughing at some of your answers to FAQ's. I see I'm not the only lonely jackass out there. Is it too soon in our relationship to tell you I love you? The sex I had comes down to this. The guy told me his meds had him at a low viral load. So as top I'm looking at "6.5 in 10,000" risk of infection or less. It's been six hours. Does this warrant a full PEP program or is it like putting the horse in the barn and then building a concrete wall around it? I've had 3 neg tests b4, but it's been awhile since my last. While I have no reason to belive I'm poz, I'm always the top and a health freak, what if I were poz, what would be the effect of a PEP program. I have by chance a full bottle of penicillin, would that work? Ok, I'm gonna sleep like a baby tonight. Your rock Doctor!

xoxo,

Scott KC,MO

Hey Scotty,

Unprotected insertive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. True, if your partner's viral load is undetectable, the risk of transmission may be less, but is certainly not eliminated. PEP should be offered for this degree of risk. Whether you decide to take it is a personal decision. PEP should be started as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours after an exposure. PEP involves a combination of antiretroviral drugs. Penicillin is an antibiotic and has no effect against HIV. You can read more about PEP in the archives.

Also, if you want to remain a "health freak," I'd suggest you cover your stump before you hump!

viral load test +ve ---- please help
Why am I negative