The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I have a child?

Sep 24, 2005

Hi, I found out that I was HIV+ a week ago. I was born in 1983 and recently found out that I received multiple blood transfusions when I was born. My doctor says that I must have got HIV from these transfusions since I am a virgin and never used drugs, and that due to my normal CD4 count after 22 years that I am a non - progressor. Is he correct? My mother died during the birth and my father, well, disappeared shortly after my conception I suppose. My CD4 count is 750 and my VL is <50 copies. I found out when I tried to donate blood. I like to have children in the near future. Am I correct in saying that my child will get HIV for sure since he / she will be getting my infected blood?

Regards ANNE

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Anne,

If your only HIV risk factor is blood transfusions from 1983, and your CD4 count is normal (750) and viral load, undetectable (<50 copies), the very first thing that needs to be done is to repeat your HIV test. It's possible your initial test was a false positive.

Next, if you are indeed HIV positive and decide to have children, no, you are not correct in assuming your kids will be HIV positive. In fact, if you have proper HIV and obstetrical care, there is an excellent chance your children will be HIV negative. You can read more about this in the archives or we can discuss it at a later date. For now, first things first. Repeat your HIV test and let's more definitively determine your HIV status, O.K.?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Well Worriers STOP Worrying and just be WELL
Big Hearty Thank you for caring about us

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint