Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Well Worriers STOP Worrying and just be WELL
Sep 24, 2005

Dear Dr. Bob,

I am so happy to finally be able to send this note J

I have been given a second chance I truly feel blessed

Im a 22-year-old woman and I had been worrying about my HIV status for over 2 years. I had my heart broken and tried to fix it with sex, it took about a year to recover from that and a year to be able to face the possible repercussions. In the year that I was out there I had sex with maybe 14 different men maybe 7 unprotected but only two ejaculated in men everyone else I had unprotected sex with it only happen one or two time ( dangerous lifeI know).I tried to rationalize my terrible behavior my comparing myself o my friends who believe it or not was living and still are more dangerously than I was. Once I got my mind right and began to appreciate myself and began to realize what I had been risking (my life and time with my child) I began to fear that it was to late and was extremely afraid of the HIV test and what the results might be. I had countless number of anxiety attacks and would sometime slip into depression thinking about it. I would look up HIV statistics for the city I live in (ranks 3rd), and would hear how high the rates are for young African American women like myself and want to curl up and die. I would look at my daughter and want to cry realizing that I had thought so little of not only myself but her as \well as to put myself at risk like that repeatedly for nothing for people I can barely remember. One night during one of my anxiety periods I stumbled on to your site and it relieved some of the anxiety when I read through your archives and found out from your responses the actually risk per sexually episode. With the new Information found on your page I was able to rest more easily but I was still afraid to take the test. I had contemplate many time leaving you a note asking for your opinion asking you to ease my mind but I never did because I knew the only thing that could ease my mind, conscience and spirit was to take the test. So, decided to take it and know one way or the other (hoping for the other) it took 15 days for me to get my results back 15 of the longest days of my life and they were negative. Finally I can wooooooooo hooooooooooooooo and yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooo and no longer booooooooooooo hoooooooooooooo wondering the outcomelol So I hope you post this for the one person who is in the shoes I so gladly leave behind, so they wont let the fear Take over their lives so they can feel free Free your mind and lift the weight off your hearts.

Thankfully Yours, Second Chance to do right!!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Second Chancer,

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story.

Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
You are a Pearl Among Swine
Next
Can I have a child?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.