Dr Frascino - PLEASE - my case is EXTREMELY RARE and URGENT! Thanks

Hi Dr kind-and-wonderful. I have been trying to get some feedback...I appreciate this so much. Here is my history: Insertive oral sex first week of July. I also had a cut on my penis at the time, although it was not bleeding. Tested at 5 weeks - negative (oraquick oral). Tested at a lab at 5.5 weeks - positive, they also said they confirmed it with wb (how????) Tested at 6 weeks - negative (oraquick oral). Tested at 7 weeks - preliminary positive (oraquick oral and oraquick blood). Never returned for confirmation result. Tested at 8 weeks - negative (oraquick oral). Tested at 12 weeks - preliminary positive (oraquick oral and blood).

I just took the test for peace of mind at 12 weeks, and it came back preliminary positive (oral swab). The counsellor then tested again using the oraquick fingerstick and it was the same result. He said he is sending the test for confirmatory testing. I can't believe this. How is it possible through oral sex (blow job) and mutual masturbation with a cut on my penis? People say this has never happened before?? He said all of the positive, negative, criss-cross results I've been having is because I was still in the window period. Remember when I had the preliminary positive with oraquick 3 weeks ago, I never went back for the confirmation result because I was too scared. Instead I went somewhere else and got a negative result after that. Now this?? What is happening? What do you think? False positive or not? Please, I need advice. I will send a donation soon.

First, a couple of basic facts:

1. Insertive oral sex carries an extremely low risk for acquisition of HIV.

2. HIV tests taken prior to three months are not considered definitive.

Now on to your situation. Your HIV risk is extremely low and your 12-week test shows "preliminary positive" results on OraQuick oral and blood testing. All preliminary positive OraQuick tests require confirmation by standard serology. Hopefully this is what the testing site ordered (as opposed to another OraQuick test). I would strongly advise not jumping to any conclusions until you have the result of the confirmatory test. Considering your minimal risk, the possibility of a false-positive OraQuick test remains significant.

Write back with your results and we'll take this one step at a time, O.K.?

I'll send you my best good-luck karma!

can i still get tattoos
recent exposure and risk