Dr. Bob: AIDS doesnt discriminate-neither should you

Dr. Bob, I understand that as a gay man you may have a stronger connection to other glbt individuals but I dont believe that should make you answer questions from us heteros with any less consistency or interest. I mean you answer questions about cucumbers but not my legitamate request about a possible exposure! I am still traveling in South America - still alone - still scared. I had unprotected vaginal intercourse with a sex worker. The action was only for a few seconds before a condom was applied. Every day I wake up with dread but I am despretely trying to stay strong. Please answer my query as I have not a soul to speak with in neither english nor spanish. What are my chances of trasmisiion from this brief exposure? I consider myself a rational individual but it is amazing the torment ones mind endures when frightened. How accuarate are the testing measures here in South America? P.S. I left our homeland to travel after working for the Kerry campaign and suffering that bitter loss. ou can be sure Ill be back in my suit and tie for the 08 Clinton/Obama ticket regardless of my results!! Thanks Doc, A friend, south of the border

You think I answer hetero questions with less consistency and interest???? Hmmm . . . . Gosh, you heteros are always bitching about discrimination . . . . Gee whiz . . . pretty soon you'll want the right to get married, adopt kids, file joint tax returns, join the boy scouts and stuff like that. I say, "No!" No special rights for heteros.

Look, Dude, if you don't like your lifestyle, you can be enrolled in aversion therapy or join an ex-hetero concentration camp. Personally, I don't mind heteros. Some of them are actually quite nice. I think they are called metrosexuals. The bottom line is that being hetero is fine, as long as you just look and act gay, O.K.???

Now on to your questions. . . . Your risk is the same as for those in gazillions of other posts in the archives asking about the HIV risk of unprotected vaginal intercourse with a sex worker. Did you think I would have different risk statistics for South America??? So to reiterate once again the estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected insertive vaginal sex, it is 5 per 10,000 exposures to an infected source. Your risk would be less, as we do not know the serostatus of your partner and your exposure was very brief ("few seconds"). HIV testing in South America should be as accurate as elsewhere in the world, assuming you go to a reliable laboratory or testing site.

Now, other than being depressed and "waking up with dread," why are you so "alone" in South America. I've always found South Americans to be vibrant, compassionate, fun-loving folks. Try going to the beach in Rio or learning to tango in Buenos Aires. Stop torturing yourself with unwarranted worries. Find a nice gay guy who can show you how to enjoy life. As the song says, "Don't Worry; Be Happy!"

Clinton/Obama in '08? Yeah!

Good luck. Please feel better, O.K.?

a Swiss woo hooooooooo
Extremely worried and beyond the freaking out threshold