HIV pos; can she pass medical?

Dr. Bob,

My wife recently discovered she's HIV positive. She started HIV meds and the virus is undetectable at less than 75. Her CD4 is 370 and percentage is up to 24. It seems she's been infected for 5-7 years, but we didn't discover until now.

She is currently in US on tourist status, but will apply for permanent residence. Part of the requirement is that she pass a medical examination or go through a lengthy HIV waiver process.

My question....Is it likely she could pass a regular HIV exam given the virus is undetectable? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

No, she would not pass the medical screening, as they would ask what medications she is taking and also perform an HIV-antibody test. Even though her viral load is undetectable, her HIV-antibody test would still be positive. I would suggest she begin the lengthy HIV-waiver process. Her HIV specialist should be able to help in this regard. Good luck.

"Even though your wheel is turning the hamster is dead"
let's make this real simple!!!