Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How come so much HIV in the world?
Sep 23, 2005

Dr. Bob, I have been reading your wonderful forum for several weeks now. Thank you. I am awaiting the results of an HIV test I just took. Thanks for giving me the courage to go in and take a test. Now my question. You have stated in many responses that various sexual engagements with a pos person have the risks of aquiring HIV in a range between 5 in 1000 to 6 in 50,000... depending on the level of safety and style. So, how in the world can there be so many people with HIV if the chances of getting HIV are so low??? Are the African and Asians just simply boning a hell of lot more than I am? Is the rest of the world in constant orgy land? Or, are there other variables that spread the disease so thoroughly in other parts of the world? Thanks again for all you wonderful support. I will place a link from site directly to your forum page.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Yes, I'm afraid you are lagging frightfully behind in your ASQ (absolute shag quotient), compared to the rest of the world.

Actually, there are a number of factors that have driven the HIV/AIDS pandemic. In developing nations, the incidence and, consequently, over time, prevalence of HIV have increased due to such factors as concurrent STDS (which increase the likelihood of HIV transmission) and the high rates of mother-to-child transmission. Other countries have higher HIV transmission due to shared intravenous-drug paraphernalia, lack of proper sterilization of medical equipment, lack of condoms, etc. Add to this that 90% of those infected in developing nations are not receiving antiretroviral medications. This means they are potentially more infectious due to high viral loads.

A full discussion of this topic is beyond the scope of this forum, however you should be able to find a great deal of information related to these issues quite easily using the links on this site and the search function.

Good luck on your test. I'll send my best karma in your direction. And, umm, do try to improve that ASQ!!!! safely, of course!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Its me again, I am Positive!!!
Next
Whats the possibility of a cure anytime soon?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.