Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Its me again, I am Positive!!!
Sep 23, 2005

Hello doc, went to the health clinic and got my final results and just as thought I was positive!!! I am totally losing it!!! I hagve some of the most severe panic attacks at times!! Now my main worry is how in the hell am I going to get treatment. I don't have a lick of insurance. Is there something out there for people such as myself? This could not have hit me at a worse time, I was already going through my problems with depression and now i've gone and got myself in this mess. I'm scared and I know allot of people go through this stage but i have not heard anyone mention insurance and possbly not being able to get treatment because of this. Help me please! I live in Miami and the lady at the clinic said a social worker would call but it's been 3 days and i'm scared. I've been staying with a friend and his wife because I am afraid to be myself. I'm sorry I can't furnish a contribution by card but I've been F'ing up my life for the last 2 years , but I can send a money order and will. I want to live!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'm very sorry to hear that you have tested positive. I do understand what an emotional and psychological shock you are currently experiencing. A period of adjustment will be necessary for you to come to grips with your new reality.

My first suggestion is for you to read the information on this site pertaining to recent diagnosis. You can access that by clicking on the quick link labeled "Just Diagnosed" on The Body's home page.

Regarding further evaluation and treatment, there are services available in Miami. Your social worker should be a good resource for what's available. You should also contact the local AIDS service organizations. Programs such as ADAP (AIDS Drug Assistance Program) may be helpful if and when you need to start HIV medications.

Despite the chaos of your life at the moment, things really will get better. What seems overwhelming at the moment will become more manageable with time. I'm here if you need me. I've been HIV positive since January 1991. Let's get through this together, O.K.?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can HIV status turn negative after years of celibacy
Next
How come so much HIV in the world?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.